Helicopter Accidents

This page documents U.S. Air Force helicopter accidents. If you have any information to contribute, please contact us.

Dugway Proving Grounds, UT
4 Sep 1958

The Daily Herald (Provo, UT)
Thu, Sep 4, 1958, page 1

Hunter Dies in Crash of Helicopter
Victim of Bow, Arrow Accident Found Dead after Helicopter Crash

DUGWAY PROVING GROUNDS (UPI) — A soldier stationed at Dugway Proving Grounds suffered a severe wound while hunting with bow and arrow near here Thursday night and was pronounced dead after a helicopter crashed attempting to bring him out for treatment.

Name of the victim was withheld pending notification of next of kin.

The accident occurred in the vicinity of Simpson Mountain, at an elevation of 6,500 feet 18 miles south of here.

The victim was one of four soldiers who where hunting in the area during the state sanctioned bow and arrow deer hunt. He apparently suffered the abdomen wound about 8 p.m. Thursday when an arrow fired by a fellow hunter missed and animal and struck him.

One of the group drove to Dugway in a jeep and alerted both a ground rescue party and a helicopter rescue team from Hill Air Force Base.

The H-21 helicopter, carrying a crew of three, reached Dugway at 11:45 p.m. and arrived at the accident scene about 1 a.m.

The helicopter, loaded with the victim and six others, attempted to return to Dugway but crashed because of power failure after making only about 20 feet of altitude. A doctor with the Hill rescue team pronounced the man dead after the crash.

The crash knocked the helicopter on its side and damaged the rotor blades. It was believed none of the others were hurt in the crash. All persons involved were brought from the scene by the ground rescue party.

The other members of the hunting party were not identified by Capt. William H. Kensley, information officer at Dugway. Hill Air Force Base said original crew members of the helicopter were Capt. Purcell A. Reary, 37, the pilot; 2nd Lt. Edward L. Radford, 22, co-pilot and Staff Sgt. Charles D. Soules, 29, crew chief.

Deadwood Pioneer-Times (Deadwood, South Dakota)
Fri, Sep 5, 1958, page 1

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A autopsy Thursday revealed that a Minnesota serviceman was accidentally killed near here by an arrow Wednesday, and not by injuries in a subsequent helicopter crash. Pfc. Arlen Eugene Solem, 22, Thief River Falls, was fatally injured when an arrow struck him in the stomach during Utah’s bow and arrow deer hunt. The hunt was conducted in rugged mountain country near here. A helicopter, sent to bring Solem out of the mountains, crashed on its return journey. No one was injured in the crash.

Integrity, Honor, and Respect
Some of the best things cannot be bought, they must be earned

©2023 USAF Rotorheads   All Rights Reserved   |   Financial Statement